Thursday, February 27, 2014

Why Breastfeeding is AWESOME!

First off, I am a huge breastfeeding advocate, and I believe that the benefits to both mama and baby are too numerous, rewarding, and beneficial to not be taken advantage of. That being said, I would also like to let those out there who will think I am just spouting 'breast is best' facts while turning down my nose at those who choose not to or cannot breastfeed; that I did breastfeed the twins but not exclusively, and for the past 3 -4 months they have been exclusively formula fed. So I know both sides of the spectrum and still would choose breastfeeding all the way and, wish I would've been able to breastfeed the boys exclusively till their first birthday.                                                           

       

     


The bond you feel between you and your little(s) is incredible

I absolutely loved the bond I had with my little guys when I breastfed. The looks that they would give me as if I was the best thing they ever laid eyes on, how they would touch my face as if to tell me thank you for feeding them, and the way they would drift off to sleep bellies full and satisfied. I will always cherish the memories of naked babies on my chest after breastfeeding.


Making bottles in the middle of the night adds to the exhaustion

A baby is synonymous with sleep deprivation, but add in two babies who are on opposite schedules, making a billion different bottles a night, and that is the recipe for an episode of "Snapped". I made formula bottles at night because I was worried, as most new moms are, that my babies weren't getting 'enough' milk from me, and I also thought that would keep them fuller longer (HA!). Well one night with the help of my love, who was my personal lactation consultant, I began to breastfeed at night and I got WAY more sleep than I did making all of those formula bottles. Think about it, popping your boob out your shirt while still in bed, or getting out of bed, finding a bottle, cleaning it if it isn't clean, measuring water and formula, and then heating bottle up. I choose boob alllll the way. 


Formula diapers stink

Nuff said. Please read my vent on the stink here.  Breastfeeding poop is cute and smells like a baby, even half breastfeeding half formula poop smells decent, but pure formula poop smells like your cute little baby is living a double life of a burger eating, beer chugging, hostess holding, truck driver who poops once a year. The smell is God awful.


Formula is expensive

The amount of money my love and I have spent on formula would have made a very cushy savings account for the boys future. Breast milk is free liquid gold.


Breastfeeding makes you feel like superwoman

When my milk came in after the twins, and I got over the excruciating pain of engorgement, there was no greater pride or joy I felt than being able to nourish my boys with my body; the same body that had grown and nourished them for the 36 weeks they lived inside my body. If I could have donned a cape that said 'breastfeeding supastah', I would have.


No matter how your baby is fed take time to give your little(s) and extra cuddle or two or three because they grow up way too fast.


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!




2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, breastfeeding made me feel like supermom! Not only did I grow these little people but I get to feed them too. Besides, cleaning bottles is for the birds. I had a difficult time breastfeeding my first and had terrible guilt so with my second I was unstoppable. I was able to breastfeed exclusively for 7 months and it made me feel like 'I Am Momma Hear Me Roar'. Oh, by the way your boys are so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bottle cleaning is for the birds!!!! Yesssss!!! I agree totally! I'm so glad to hear that you made your breast feeding dreams a reality, and thank you! I think they are incredibly cute but I made em so I'm biased lol

      Delete